The Universe Story, coined by Thomas Berry, a Passionist Priest and Anthropologist developed from looking at new discoveries in science. Berry sees that life that has a single source and comes into being through the interconnectedness of all creation. He identified this process as a sacred story - the unfolding of the living universe. His understanding of the oneness of all creation finds expression in his saying, "To tell the story of anything, you have to tell the story of everything."
Growing into an awareness of this unfolding mystery and our oneness with it, has been a major focus in the Martha's journey with the Universe Story.
- mid 1990's study sessions in our Congregation on the new Universe Story.
- 2001 an environmental assessment done of our motherhouse buildings and grounds to help manage our resources in an ecologically sound manner.
- 2002 a committee known as Environment Resource Assessment Committee (now known as the Martha Ecology Committee) established to assist with implementing the assessment's report. Consultants helped with visioning and the work of the committee. Five strategic directions focused the committee's work.
- Programs and retreats on the Universe Story are offered through our retreat centers, Bethany Center n Nova Scotia, and Martha Centre in Alberta.
- The Dream of the Earth. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books (1988)
- The Great Work: Our Way Into the Future New-York: Bell Tower (1999)
- The Awakening Universe( DVD)
- Swimme & Berry
- The Universe Story Harper San Francisco (1992)
- Swimme, Brian
- The Powers of the Universe (DVD)