Mission Assurance Agreement and St. Martha's Regional Hospital
The history of St. Martha's Regional Hospital in Antigonish is a century-old story of people responding to the health needs of the communities served. The philosophy and culture of the hospital is rooted in a strong tradition of the religious values of collaboration, service, teaunity support.
The Sisters of St. Martha owned and governed this institution from its foundation in 1906 until September 30, 1996, when St. Martha's became part of the Eastern Regional Health Services. Prior to the transfer of ownership the sisters, in collaboration with St. Martha's Board of Directors, negotiated a Mission Assurance Agreement with the Government of Nova Scotia. The agreement assures the continuation of the traditional identity, mission and philosophy of the hospital. The values which constitute the essence of the agreement are in reality those chosen and upheld by the people of the communities served.
The Mission Assurance Agreement is supported and monitored by the Mission Assurance Advisory Council comprised of members from the local communities, the hospital and the sisters. Within the hospital, the essential components of the Agreement are implemented through a staff Mission Committee, a Mission Coordinator and the Department of Spiritual and Religious Care.