Living in Right Relationships With all of Creation
In communion with each other and with all of creation, we are residents on a planet more glorious than any other yet discovered. But we are also guardians and stewards of a planet deteriorating at a rapid pace. The critical need of our time is clear and as Marthas we are responding to this need by learning to live in right relationship, respectful of all life and aiding the common good. We hope to do this by using fewer resources as we live more sustainably.
- Purchased more local food
- Reduced fossil fuel use through energy upgrades, renovations and the reduction of grass mowing at our Motherhouse
- Installed a solar panel in one residence
- Purchased 4 hybrid cars
- Switched almost 800 incandescent light bulbs to compact florescent bulbs at our Motherhouse. Many of our small local houses have also moved to using compact florescent bulbs.
- Conducted energy audits and made recommended changes in smaller communities: adding insulation, replacing windows and doors, air sealing
- Reduced waste and increased composting
- Reduced paper shredding by recycling